Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Inaugural Post!

Guten Tag! Tomorrow I fly to Germany for the first time ever. I can't even begin to express the various emotions that I'm feeling right now. I'm excited, yes, but I also realize that I'm about to gaze for the first time upon what is to be my home for the next 3-5 years.But I'm as ready as I'll ever be. My suitcase and garment bag and carry-on are nearly packed. I bought a Berlitz book of German phrases (including a dictionary) so I can say such things as,"Ich habe eine Scheidenentzundung." This is something I hope I never have to say, but should it become a problem, at least I can tell a doctor about it.(Just for the record, that means, "I have a vaginal infection.") Heh.

But yes, there are phrases in here that I actually will use, particularly when ordering food in a restaurant or going shopping. It's fascinating really, and much more helpful than just your run of the mill German-English dictionary, because at least I don't have to try to piece together a sentence by looking up individual words. I just wish I could find a book that translates menus in different languages, so that if we go to Italy, say, I know what I'm ordering. Or even in Germany...because according to Lance, every restaurant he's been to so far has had all the menus in German. You'd think in a NATO community where several nationalities are represented and several languages spoken, they would have menus available in all of these languages, or at least in English, since it seems that most people in NATO can speak it.So Lance has had to do a "trial by fire" method of ordering food, just point to something on the menu and pray it is edible. But I hope I find one of these books at some point, so we don't have to do that.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now...I wasn't planning on writing my first entry until after my arrival in Germany, but this poor journal just looked so empty. I will update again after I arrive...as soon as we get the computer up. I don't think we'll have internet access for the first few days after we move in. But at least when we do get it, it will be DSL.

No comments: