Monday, July 5, 1999

Bath 1999: excerpts from my study abroad journal

We are getting ready to leave the hotel. I thought I should take this opportunity to write some more. We finally arrived in England yesterday and flying overhead, we saw openings in the clouds that revealed England's hilly and green landscape. We had a smooth landing at Gatwick, and Susan and I went through customs and met up with Sam and Leslie. Sam took us to a pub in the airport to buy us lunch. Then he walked us to the train station in the airport, where we caught the train to Bath with a connection in Reading. The train ride here was nearly 3 hours. We watched the English countryside speed by, and I was just in awe of the beauty of it. Everything is just so green. We talked to some interesting people on the train. Finally, the train pulled up at Bath Spa and I nearly burst into tears at the beauty of the town. It is so hilly and has so many gorgeous little shops and buildings...

...The hotel sits on the River Avon, with pastures (and sheep) and a castle in the distance outside our window. We explored a little around the river last night and went to bed early, as jetlag was setting in. Then we all found ourselves awake in the middle of the night, but fell asleep again. This morning we had a traditional English breakfast, which was quite good, but very greasy.

***


We are now settled in at
Somerset Place, which is absolutely beautiful. I was a bit surprised by how sparse my room was, but I will make it nice...

***


All settled in and had orientation about Bath itself - where the important places were (post office, banks, etc.) and we walked a lot. I saw many tourist sites, including the Royal Crescent and Pulteney Bridge. We stopped at the Bell for a drink (I had cider) and heard a band play before we walked back.

No comments: